Mango is the fruit I love the most. You can make shakes and can have the juice. Whatever form I can have mango at any moment. Once I experimented and made an amazing syrup out of my favorite fruit. It was not the season of ripe mangoes. Raw mangoes were available and I bought them. But due to sensitive teeth, I could not eat sour things at that moment. The famous proverb ” Necessity is the mother of inventions” worked here. I made something which became a favorite on the dinner table since. It was a simple mango syrup made from jaggery and mango.
– 250 gm raw mango chopped into small pieces.
– 250 gm Jaggery( You can use brown sugar instead, but Jaggery gives better taste)
– 10 gm Black Cumin Seeds
– 5 Bay Leaves
– 10 gm Aniseed
– 50 gm butter
– 5 gm salt
- Melt the butter in a pot, and when heated add Black Cumin seed and Bay leaves. It will give nice aroma.
- Add the chopped mango and cook for 15 minutes. After 15 Minutes add salt and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Now add Jaggery/Brown sugar and let it melt and mix with the raw mango. Let the liquid become brown.
- Add one glass of water and let it simmer for 30 minutes. The mango will mix and a nice curry will form.
- Add aniseed on top and let it cool. You can put it in the refrigerator for better results.
- Once it is cooled it will have a nice gel look.
The syrup is ready. You can spread on the bread or eat as a sweet dish.